[Discuss] FCC update re: modifications of device software

fyi  -s

Clearing the Air on Wi-Fi Software Updates
https://www.fcc.gov/blog/clearing-air-wi-fi-software-updates

by: Julius Knapp, Chief, Office of Engineering & Technology
November 12, 2015 - 12:09 PM

This week marked the closing of the reply comment period in the
Commission's radio device approval modernization rulemaking. The
comments and replies are largely supportive of the Commission's
proposals, but one particular element generated thousands of
comments from individuals concerned that the proposal would
encourage manufacturers to prevent modifications or updates to
the software used in devices such as wireless local area networks
(e.g., Wi-Fi routers). I'm pleased that this issue attracted
considerable attention and thoughtful submissions into the record
and would like to make it clear that the proposal is not intended
to encourage manufacturers to prevent all modifications or
updates to device software.

As I wrote last month, this proceeding has taken on a
significance beyond the Commission's original intent. One of our
key goals is to protect against harmful interference by calling
on manufacturers to secure their devices against third party
software modifications that would take a device out of its RF
compliance. Yet, as the record shows, there is concern that our
proposed rules could have the unintended consequence of causing
manufacturers to "lock down" their devices and prevent all
software modifications, including those impacting security
vulnerabilities and other changes on which users rely. Eliciting
this kind of feedback is the very reason that we sought comment
in an NPRM and we are pleased to have received the feedback that
will inform our decision-making on this matter.

In my last post I recognized the need to work with stakeholders
-- particularly the user community -- to address these concerns
in a way that still enables the Commission to execute its mandate
to protect users from harmful interference. I'm happy to say that
the OET staff and I have spoken directly with some of these
stakeholders in the last few weeks.

One immediate outcome of this ongoing dialogue is a step we've
taken to clarify our guidance on rules the Commission adopted
last year in the U-NII proceeding. Our original lab guidance
document released pursuant to that Order asked manufacturers to
explain "how [its] device is protected from 'flashing' and the
installation of third-party firmware such as DD-WRT." This
particular question prompted a fair bit of confusion -- were we
mandating wholesale blocking of Open Source firmware
modifications?

We were not, but we agree that the guidance we provide to
manufacturers must be crystal-clear to avoid confusion. So, today
we released a revision
https://apps.fcc.gov/kdb/GetAttachment.html?id=zXtrctoj6zH7oNEOO6De6g%3D%3D&desc=594280%20D02%20U-NII%20Device%20Security%20v01r03&tracking_number=39498
to that guidance to clarify that our instructions were
narrowly-focused on modifications that would take a device out of
compliance. The revised guidance now more accurately reflects our
intent in both the U-NII rules as well as our current rulemaking,
and we hope it serves as a guidepost for the rules as we move
from proposal to adoption.

There is more hard work ahead of us as we finalize rules, and we
welcome continued input from manufacturers, users, technologists,
and others.