[Discuss] New WiFi firmware guidance from FCC

Forwarded here from another list with S.M.'s permission
   -S

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:15:23 -0500
From: Sascha Meinrath <sascha at thexlab.org>

Hi everyone,

To be clear, the FCC clearly didn't listen to the feedback that
technologists and engineers were providing and is doubling down
on blocking open source software and preventing entirely legal
tinkering of the hardware we purchase. The FCC is regulating that
new wireless technologies *not be able to be used illegally* --
imagine trying to design a car that couldn't speed, or a pen that
couldn't write death threats, or any other tool you can probably
imagine to an equal specification. For example, if I buy a Wi-Fi
router and move to a country with a different legal set of
parameters, I should be able to change my device to be compliant.
The FCC's rules would prevent that (or maybe they would allow it,
in which case, I could just download the Czech patch for my Wi-Fi
device and continue to use it illegally.

Put simply, the FCC is actively engaged in a war against
innovation. As every engineer on this list knows, locking down
firmware "to prevent modifications to the software that could,
for example, disable dynamic frequency selection (technology
necessary for preventing interference to radars), enable tuning
to unauthorized frequencies, increase power above authorized
levels, etc." while simultaneously "not intend[ing] to prevent or
inhibit modification of any other software or firmware in the
device, such as software modifications to improve performance,
configure RF networks or improve cybersecurity" is not feasible.

Thus, this "clarified guidance" does nothing to address the
fundamental technical reality that wireless firmware cannot be
locked down against illegal use while also open to legal
tinkering because in the Venn diagram of functionality, the two
overlap so substantially. Anyone that knows anything about EIRP
knows that the *antenna* matters, not just the firmware on your
Wi-Fi device. So, in the end, this proceeding won't actually
prevent harmful interference, cannot be operationalized
successfully in a global market, and will most certainly prevent
entirely legal modification of Wi-Fi devices.

Which is why we need to stop the FCC before their ludicrous new
proposed regulations damage to the vibrant Wi-Fi market sector.

--Sascha Meinrath
Director, X-Lab
Palmer Chair in Telecommunications
Penn State University