[Discuss] What was once old is new again...

I'm a serious PDP-8 fan myself.

I learned my most basic computer skills in High School on a PDP-8, and my managerial
skills bloomed as I learned how to talk the school into buying more hardware to play with
during my time there.

I played with the PDP-8e simulator at: http://www.bernhard-baehr.de/pdp8e/pdp8e.html
a few months ago when I first heard about it. It had emulation going well enough for me
to boot into ETOS.  Boy was I surprised how much I could just do from memory in Focal,
OS/8, BASIC, ETOS and PAL-8.  That stuff is DEEP inside me.

Alas, I'd sent my old ETOS source listing to the shredder a couple years ago, so I couldn't just
dive in and debug the bizarre behavior I was getting.

The PiDP-8 hardware on offer at http://obsolescence.wix.com/obsolescence#!pidp-8/cbie
is an interesting hybrid:

It is emulated on Rasberry Pi hardware.
The kit is sort of a 1/2 scale PDP 8i front panel.
The emulation is of a PDP-8e INCLUDING the ETOS hardware.

Even though it's not one pure thing, I have to say that it's what I would have built:
The PDP 8i "butterfly" switches were the best front panel switches of anything.
(Although I never learned the "flash flip" technique that the REAL gurus I studied under had.)

The PDP 8e has the richest hardware and instruction set -- well actually the PDP 8a, which I believe
had a further advance to extended memory to speak 128K of 12-bit words instead of the previous all-time
high of 32K.  (But I was an 8e guy so my memory of 8a lore is suspect.)

I'm SORELY tempted to enqueue myself for the next run of kits, even though I really should be
focusing on the future not the past...

-Bill Cattey