[Discuss] Notebook Recommendations?

On May 1, 2016 6:10:31 PM EDT, Rich Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:
>mSATA is dead. M2/NGFF (PCIe) drives are where the compact form factors

Maybe so. Replaceable flash is more important than a specific interface.

>What is your actual budget? Because to me, "inexpensive" in a notebook
>is anything less than about $2K.

I see so many well under $1k, and I don't need CPU horse power of the latest calibre, so all those lower models tempt me. A sluggish modern model is so much faster then my previous old computer, that I look at physical properties such as what jacks and slots it has, size, weight, battery life?

Except I am afraid of SSDs and so would like replaceability and expandability.

>For ultraportable I suggest looking at the Dell XPS 13 Developer
>Edition: 8GB, 256G PCIe drive, 1080p display, Intel HD Graphics, ships
>with Ubuntu, for about $1K.

I've moved on to Debian, but Ubuntu is a Linux endorsement. I'll check it out.

I can't go back to 265G, but maybe I can work something out in the details.

Thanks,

-kb

--
Sent from my Turing Machine.