[Discuss] Future-proofing a house for networking -- what to run?

For me, it depends on the expected lifetime of the edge device. Right
now, for example, I don't expect any video streaming box to have a
lifetime of more than five years; by then it will be sufficiently
obsolete that it will need to be replaced. Future-proofing it isn't
important. The same applies to any smart features in TVs, disc
players, audio receivers, etc., except for very high end models that
might actually get updates.

Something that hasn't been noted is that, even in a wireless future,
you need to feed data to the wireless devices and wires are the best
way to do it. I need a WiFi access point on each floor to get good
signal quality throughout the house - plaster and lath soaks up RF -
so one of the purposes of the wires we put in the wall 15 years ago is
to feed the APs. We pulled Cat5e at the time which is good up to a
gigabit; right now I'm wishing we had pulled Cat6 but it wasn't yet
readily available when we did it. I may eventually have to pull some
better line to feed the switches and APs; the Cat5e wires will be good
enough for the end points for a while yet.