BLU Officers list archive

[Officers] Fwd: SMART error (FailedReadSmartData) detected on host: pegasus.blu.org

Saw this error. Looks like one of the disks we're not currently using,
and which fdisk is unable to read anyway.

I'm not happy to report that "smartctl -H" reports "SMART Health Status: OK"
for /dev/sdc. fdisk reports "Unable to read /dev/sdc", and "smartctl -a"
says "device is NOT READY (e.g. spun down, busy)
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting."

We currently have two disks that are in use: /dev/sda and /dev/sdd.
/dev/sdb is present but unused, and sdc is showing as present but apparently
failing.

Now that I think of it, last time I was at NEDV, I removed the "new" drive
that I had just installed a couple days before, so I believe there should
only be 3 drives in pegasus. I'm not sure why it thinks there are 4.

Jerry, you have the same hardware at Algorythmics, right? Does this
phantom disk behavior make sense to you? Maybe the BIOS keeps
a cache of what hard drives used to be installed, and it's screwing up
how smartctl sees things?