Linux device drivers...followup...

fd0D360 == Double Density 360K (single sided)
fd0D720 == Double Density 720K (double sided).
The names themselves only have meaning to humans. SuSE is a bit different:
brw-rw-rw-   1 root     disk       2,  40 Dec  3 09:39 /dev/fd0h1440
brw-rw-rw-   1 root     disk       2,  28 Dec  3 09:39 /dev/fd0u1440
brw-rw-rw-   1 root     disk       2,  41 Dec  3 09:39 /dev/fd1h1440
brw-rw-rw-   1 root     disk       2,  29 Dec  3 09:39 /dev/fd1u1440
Note that the minor numbers are different. The device driver uses the minor
numbers.
There is a man page for fd. I have taken some excerpts from it. Basically,
a device driver uses the minor number to convey certain information, such
as the drive number, capacity, etc. Each driver may use a different method.

Drive independent device files which automatically  detect  the media
format and capacity:

       Name   Base minor #
       --------------------
       fdn    0

       5.25 inch double density device files:

       Name         Capac.   Cyl.   Sect.   Heads   Base minor #
       fdnd360      360K     40     9       2       4

      3.5 inch high density device files:

       Name         Capac.   Cyl.   Sect.   Heads   Base minor #
       fdnH1440     1440K    80     18      2       28

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org

-