Linux device drivers...followup...

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Kevin M. Gleason wrote:
> [fdxxxxx list]
> Can I assume that when the system starts up it looks in
> ROM Bios and matches up my 1.44M floppy drive with its device driver
> fd0H1440 and uses its device info?

	Nope...  the entries in /dev are "files" created at some
point.  Usually the installer of your linux distro put them there.  If
they were not there, you'd have to create them, regardless of the fact
that you do have a HD 1.44 floppy drive.
	You probably do not need all of them.  If you just have a 1.44
floppy drive, that can read/write 720Kb disks too, I believe you just need
to have /dev/fd0H1440 and /dev/fd0D720, and /dev/fd0.
	You can just use /dev/fd0 when you mount floppy disks.  But if you
wanted to force the read of a disk as a 720Kb disk, you could use
/dev/fd0D720 for the mount parameters.

> What do all of the other numbers stand for and why are there repeats
> (360 appears four times)? If these numbers reference disk capacity
> does the letter preceeding it represent drive size (8", 5 1/4", 3
> 1/2")? Thanks.

	I don't rememeber what all the numbers mean, but there are
documents in /usr/src/linux/Documents that describe the whole thing.  I
had to look them up once, and i remember seeing them there.

--
Pedro Soria-Rodriguez
sorrodp at alum.wpi.edu

-