IPChains question (SOLVED)

Actually, Linux IP-Masq (i.e. NAT) does quite well with datagrams...
The way NAT works is that the NAT-box creates a mapping of
transport,external-IP,external-port,local-port -- so, it is possible
to have multiple streams will use the same 'local-port'.  Indeed,
trying to port-scan an ip-masq server wont show you anything about any
current flows (unless a flow is heading to your machine and you happen
to use the correct port to send the ping back to the NAT box).

The only way a port-scan will work from the outside is if you have an
AutoForward on the NAT.  AutoFW is used to forward a constant port to
an internal machine (for example, you may have your mail server
sitting behind the NAT box, so you forward port 25 through the NAT box
to your SMTP server).

-derek

-