Windows ME Tour (fwd)

Peter Jon White wrote:

> Having tried Linux, and especially after driving in to Cambridge to hear a
> presentation that had been billed as "how to run Windows aps under Linux" or
> something to that effect, and finding myself in a room full of programmer
> folks who seemed to enjoy slamming Microsoft rather than actually using
> computers to get work done, and being told be the presenter how sorry he was
> that he couldn't actually demonstrate using Windows aps under Linux,
> presumably because he didn't have the time to install "Office" under VMWARE
> or WIN4LIN, and having struggled in vain to find Linux drivers for some
> fairly mundane hardware that runs quite well in Windows, I'm inclined to
> ask;
>
> Why would you think for one moment that anybody for whom the ease of use and
> ready availability of software that actually helps you get work done
> (without being a programmer) is important, would be the least bit interested
> in Linux?
>
> I'm sure that Linux is just wonderful if you're running ahuge network orfile
> server or ISP. But the folks (like me) who just use computers to use a small
> business database, keep financial records for a small business, write
> letters, exchange email, etc. in other words the folks who use Windows and
> who might be interested in Windows ME, for whom a computer is a means to an
> end, rather than an end in itself, have no use for Linux.
>
> So why would you waste their time, or yours for that matter? Unless this is
> just another opportunity to stand around smuggly and make snide comments
> about Gates & Co.

You are not alone.  Linus Torvalds himself readily acknowledges Linux's
deficiencies on the desktop.  Members of his own family use (gasp)
Windows.

That said, I think there are still two reasons you should be interested
in Linux as a desktop operating system: philosophy and momentum.

Linux (and co.) are open source.  Windows (and co.) is closed source.
Of course this titillates "programmer folks", because they can dig in
and see how others do things.  To you, this may seem irrelevant.  Let me
assure you, it is not.  Even though you yourself may never care to dig
into the innards of your word processor, the fact that others can, and
do, makes it very difficult for anyone to cover up any poor
programming.  For a good read on the subject, try "Open Sources",
published by O'Reilly.

And momentum.  Windows may have market share, but Linux has mindshare;
particularly in the developer arena (those "programmer folks" you refer
to).  The very same folks, perhaps, who created the business database or
email client you like now.  Let me ask you this:  If you were a general,
would you rather hire mercenary soldiers, or command troops fighting for
their very own  liberty?

If you have any doubts about the open source model's ability to provide
high quality software, just look at what's been accomplished so far.
While the desktop is still immature, it is evolving rapidly.  But you
have Apache, Sendmail, Qmail, BIND, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Perl, Python,
Emacs, vi, OpenSSH, gcc, XFree86, DHCP, innd, Mailman, Majordomo, Samba,
and on and on.  Stable, secure, and best of breed.

I also had my doubts about Linux.  So I shook loose some low hanging
corporate fruit in the form of a P90, bought a book which included a CD,
installed it, and started playing around.  That was several years ago.
That machine has never crashed.  I would say I never rebooted it, but
that's not true.  While trying to figure out how to configure some of
the applications, things didn't always work as expected.  I was so
conditioned to think that rebooting might solve the problem that I
restarted the computer several times.  That never did any good.  The
problem was always that I had done something wrong, and needed to
reconfigure one thing or another.  So I rebooted, but *I didn't have to*
(except when rolling a kernel, which you'd probably never do).

My office still needs Windows.  I work for an architectural firm.  We
need AutoCAD.  Not just for its abilities, but because of file
compatibility issues.  Ditto for 3D Studio, form.Z, & MS Office.  There
are applications I could substitute for office apps, but forcing people
to dual boot or run VMWare would unnecessarily complicate people's
lives.  But I've migrated all server functions away from Netware and NT
Server.  I don't make MS Access apps, I build PostgreSQL databases and
PHP web forms.  Piece by piece I will erode the foothold proprietary
products have made into my office environment.  It's a lot of work.  A
pain sometimes.  But I believe that payback is certain.

As for "how to run Windows apps under Linux" - why would you want to?

--

Ron Peterson
Systems Manager
rpeterson at wallacefloyd.com