Windows ME Tour (fwd)

	peter-

	I do have to apologize for any problems you may have seen with some
Linux advocates. As with all organizations, the Linux movement in and of
itself can sometimes seem... Ferverent about how the feel, or what they
believe in. This is a common problem in the realm of advocacy. As with all
organization, there are a few people inside of said organization who can be
rather, loudmouthed and illogical, commonly, these few people tend to
out-scream the few people who have fully objective and rational arguments to
present.

	This also applies to Microsoft Advocacy. He with the loudest and
most nazi-esque manner typically wins. However, they do not win over in a
rational manner, they win over by forcing the ideal upon the mass who cannot
think for themselves.

> Having tried Linux, and especially after driving in to Cambridge to hear a
> presentation that had been billed as "how to run Windows aps under Linux"
or
> something to that effect, and finding myself in a room full of programmer
> folks who seemed to enjoy slamming Microsoft rather than actually using
> computers to get work done, and being told be the presenter how sorry he
was
> that he couldn't actually demonstrate using Windows aps under Linux,
> presumably because he didn't have the time to install "Office" under
VMWARE
> or WIN4LIN, and having struggled in vain to find Linux drivers for some
> fairly mundane hardware that runs quite well in Windows, I'm inclined to
> ask;

Here is the case. As you have said, many of these people seemed to enjoy
slamming M$ than actually presenting a rational argument. Let me assure you,
these people do not represent the whole. As to the "instructor" please, also
consider that he does not represent the whole, and, quite possibly from what
you are saying, should not be in the position of teaching or presenting if
all he is going to do is make excuses about why he couldn't perform his
duty. once again, I apologize for this total lack of rational thought.

> Why would you think for one moment that anybody for whom the ease of use
and
> ready availability of software that actually helps you get work done
> (without being a programmer) is important, would be the least bit
interested
> in Linux?

Depends on what type of work. When i speak about linux, I do not talk about
what microsoft has screwed up. Instead, I discuss what Linux can do, and do
well. Which, in my book, is anything Windows can do, except better. The only
realm I find Windows to be superior to MS is the realm of new-user ease of
use. Linux IS fairly easy to use, but only if you have solid computer
fundamentals down first. i do not reccomend it to User A who has little or
now computer experience.

> I'm sure that Linux is just wonderful if you're running ahuge network
orfile
> server or ISP. But the folks (like me) who just use computers to use a
small
> business database, keep financial records for a small business, write
> letters, exchange email, etc. in other words the folks who use Windows and
> who might be interested in Windows ME, for whom a computer is a means to
an
> end, rather than an end in itself, have no use for Linux.

Computers are tools. Tools are objects which are meant to steamline and
speed up the manner in which you work and your day to day duties. In order
to perform well, you need the right tools, not a tool which performs the
task easily but haphazardly. I choose linux, because i feel, and know, that
Linux is the best tool for me to use. Linux, is not for everyone however.

In regards to the technical specifics, linux runs databases faster, and more
efficiently than windows. I know this firsthand, as i primarily concentrate
on web database integration in alot of respects. Writing letters and
exchanging mail? Anything can do that, it's a rudimentary task. However, you
are primarily discussing desktop applications. Linux, in and of itself, is
an excellent desktop system. I use it for just about everything (i run
outlook in VMware however, as that is the corporate standard). I find it is
more stable, faster, and easier to manipulate than windows on all accounts.
YMMV (Your mileage might vary). It's a matter of opinion, a sheer technical
skill.

> So why would you waste their time, or yours for that matter? Unless this
is
> just another opportunity to stand around smuggly and make snide comments
> about Gates & Co.

In this particular case, i agree. i believe standing around a MS booth,
handing out linux software is bound for disaster. Why? Because, you are
going to have a MS marketing/sales drone with no clue handing out Windows
stuff, and people are going to go there for the specific idea of publicly
humilating someone who doesn't know any better. This is not advocacy, it's
bully-ness. If we want to do something for public support and showing off,
we do it away from anything Microsoft, we do it right, and we do not invite
people who are stringently anti-MS as typically, this type of person will
spend 90% of thier time bashing MS. Not realizing 99.9% of the general
public doesn't give a flying leap about what thier computer runs.

Instead, show them computers, show the technology, get them interested in
what makes thier systems go. Prove to them linux is a better alternative
rather than sitting around bashing Microsoft. We can only gain ground
through education, not recrimination.

Jesse Noller
Linux Engineer/Disturbed Genius - Allaire Corp.
jnoller at allaire.com

"Who is John Galt?"
            -Ayn Rand "Atlas Shrugged"

-