Possible attack; opinions wanted

This is absolutely true. In software design:
A good set of specs will reduce programming time and testing time.  One of
the problems that causes serious delays is design flaws. You have a decent
plan and design, but the design contains a serious flaw. The programmers
implement according to the spec. The testers test to the spec. Product is
shipped on beta test, customer finds a serious bug. The programmers find
that this bug is evidence of a design flaw, and must make some major
changes to the product. The product that I worked on the past 2 years was a
porting project. We planned it around an existing tool. One of the
limitations of the tool was well known to us and our management, and was
communicated to the company whose product we were porting. At some point,
that company decided that they could not live with that limitation, which
was a fundamental limitation of the tool. The end result was that we (our
group, the tool people in Nashua, and the Alpha chip design people) came up
with a workable idea. This required significant changes to the tool (which
engineering management supported) and significant changes to our approach,
which required restructuring much of what we had already done. The flaw was
communication between the engineers here and the engineers at our customer
in Palo Alto.
Another problem is that classical programmers want to start writing code
immediately. In any case project management is not a panacaea. Many things
can go wrong, but a good plan, a good set of specs, and the proper
allocation of resources (if the project is going to be written in C, get C
programmers not ADA programmers).

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director