Getting started w/ Debian

dsr at tao.merseine.nu writes:

> unstable: 2.6 kernel. Development happens here. No stability is
> implied. The packages may not work with each other. Unless you
> are a developer, don't use this. You may get security fixes as a
> side effect of constant package churn.
>
> testing: 2.4 or 2.6 kernel. When a package has been in unstable
> for 10 days with no major bugs filed against it, it can be
> promoted to testing. This is often the best choice for a
> workstation where you want to learn and get things done at the
> same time.

BS.  Unstable can be far more usable than testing.  Testing can be
horribly for long periods of time (months, even), whereas horrible
breakage in unstable is generally fixed the next day.

Testing is only OK to use right now because it's very close to a
release.  After Sarge releases, I wouldn't touch testing with a 10-foot
pole.

--
You win again, gravity!