Linux install problems

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 11:42:03AM -0500, David Kramer wrote:
> > Doesn't work here -- not on RH9, and not on FC2.
>
> I have to disagree with your disagreement
[SNIP]
> -rw-------    1 david    users       16724 2004-11-10 15:03 .bash_history

That's interesting, but my statement above remains true: it does not
work this way on Red Hat platforms (and others, as noted by JC).
Since the OP stated he's on FC2, using this method to solve his
problem apparently will not work.  The related locale setting appears
to be system-dependent.  However, my suggestion to use the
--time-style parameter to ls does work.

On FC2, using does the job for me:

	ls -l --time-style=long-iso

If for some reason it doesn't for you, then you should be able to use
the more-or-less guaranteed to work (but harder to remember) form:

	ls -l --time-style="+%Y-%m-%d"

If you want ls to have that format all the time, and you want to save
all that extra typing, try adding a line like the below in your
.bashrc or similar file.

	alias ls="ls --time-style="+%Y-%m-%d"

Notice that I left out the -l -- this is so that you can still get
short listings when you want to.  But if you use this alias and you
add the -l flag on the command line, it will get you what you want.

-=-=-=-=-