OT: Open source voting machines and other gizmos (was Re: Comcast and SORBS)

As I understand it, when the Turnpike Authority was set up as an
independent quasi-government agency, its charter provided that once it
paid back all its bonds, the authority would be dissolved and control of
its roads would go back to the Commonwealth.  To prevent this from
happening, the Authority keeps issuing more and more bonds for more
expensive construction contracts.  Since the legislature can't prevent
the Authority from setting tolls as high as they want, investors are
happy to keep buying those bonds.

--
"If John Kerry was the last best hope for the Republic ... then maybe
  it wasn't worth saving in the first place.  I don't believe that,