Could comcast be blocking port 6667 outbound?

John Chambers
>Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 9:01 PM
>To: discuss at blu.org; BLU Discussion List
>Subject: Re: Could comcast be blocking port 6667 outbound?
>
>Bill Horne wrote:
>| Sorry to butt in, but I'm confused by the various "outbound" vs.
>| "inbound" labels on this topic.
>|
>| Let's agree on a standard definintion of "inbound" and "outbound", so
>| we know what direction(s) we're discussing:
>|
>| 1. Inbound refers to traffic coming FROM comcast TOWARD my machine 2.
>| Outbound refers to traffic going FROM my machine TOWARD comcast.
>|
>| Does that work for everyone?
>
>That's exactly how I use them.  I guess I'd assume that those are the usual
definitions.

It might be more useful or precise to say that outbound is a connection
initiated by your computer to that port on remote computer.  Inbound is a
connection initiated by an external computer to a specific port on your
computer.

Example:  If a POP3 connection is outbound, the "traffic" flows towards your
machine.  You initiated the connection, so it is outbound.  You sent out an
initiative connection to a remote computer's port 110.  I would say traffic
is needlessly ambiguous.

The direction is determined by the end at which the port is specified.  You
open specific ports at your end for inbound connections.

MEG