Could comcast be blocking port 6667 outbound?

I was thinking about this, and correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't IRC work
similarly to FTP in that a conceptually outbound (client to server)
connection actualy initiates an inbound connection (server to client)?

If my thinking is correct, you probably need to upgrade the firmware of
your router, or get a router that can handle this

Hi all,

I was working from home today, and, at about noon time, my irc connection
went away, and trying to open a tcp connection to port 6667 on any machine
I've tried no longer works, even though it does when I try it from a shell
elsewhere.  I also tried connecting my laptop directly to the cable modem
(our computers are normally behind a Linksys RT41P2 that handles the
VoIP).  So I know that either comcast is blocking it or my router is
mysteriously acting up, but I don't know which.  I'd call Comcast except
that I get a recording saying that they are receiving higher than normal
call volume and to call back another time unless it is urgent.  Has anyone
run into something like this before?

THanks,

-- Michael Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org --