system-config-display

Is the system truly hanging, or are you just losing access to your
graphics card? (is the machine still ping-able, etc.)

If it helps, I didn't have any luck with X on an LCD until had my sync
rates in-line with what my monitor's manual reported.  For me (in my
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file):
-------------------
Section "Monitor"

# HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
# HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.
#    HorizSync  30-64         # multisync
#    HorizSync  31.5, 35.2    # multiple fixed sync frequencies
#    HorizSync  15-25, 30-50  # multiple ranges of sync frequencies
# VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
# VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY.  REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

        Identifier   "AGNeovo F-419"
        HorizSync    24.0 - 80.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
        Option      "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Unfortunately, I've never used Fedora's system-config-display command, so
I'm of no help there.

Good luck,
-Danny Robert