video editing

Laura Conrad wrote:

>     Matthew> Check this thread; this guy seems to think he figured out
>     Matthew> how to get ffmpeg to convert to type 2 DV format (which
>     Matthew> is something Kino claims to support; YMMV as I've only
>     Matthew> ever used the "raw" DV format with kino):
>     Matthew> http://www.arcknowledge.com/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.user/2004-09/msg00024.html
>
> Thanks, this seems to work.  I ignored all the discussion of the exact
> options and used:
>
>  ffmpeg -i *.MPG -target ntsc-dv ffmpeg.dv
>
> And Kino seems to be happy with ffmpeg.dv.
>
> So now how do I get Kino to put in titles?  When I go to the "Insert
> before" option on the "files" menu, it says, "Choose a dv or SMIL
> file to insert". I gather an SMIL file is the format Kino uses to save
> its work.  I don't have a problem with creating my titles in another
> program, but how do I get them into Kino?

Oh, *that* kind of editing.  I mostly used it for cutting parts of scenes out
and splicing other stuff in.  To add overlay text, I've never done it so don't
swear at me too badly if these are a waste of time, but there's a couple
things you could try:
 - use mencoder and figure out how to use subtitles
 - use GIMP to create an image of the text you want, then use Kino's FX tab
and use the "Superimpose" video filter (using the aforementioned Gimp image).
 Then do the "export" step to make it do the rendering.

Let me know if either of these work ;-)

Matt

believed to be clean.