[Ubuntu] Streaming live audio to Internet?

Basic goal: Take live input from mic port and relay signal over Internet

Accomplishment: With WinXP, using Icecast2 to take signal from any
source fed to it and successfully relays over Internet on port of my
choose (i.e. 10000/tcp).   Program used to feed it the signal from mic
port is Oddsock.   At work or elsewhere, I use RealPlayer to listen.
Icecast2 could probably capture audio and relay it on its own, but it
doesn't, so I need to use oddsock.

Desired accomplishment: Duplicate results with mininal efforts under
Ubuntu (or Debian, or CentOS, or any other version of Linux that is free).

Yes, kmix, among other programs, let me mute/unmute and manage volume
control of audio fed to mic port.  But if a program needs a specific /dev
from which to take audio, I have no idea what the specific device file is.
Alsa may handle it, but that doesn't give me the specific device file,
just a general program doing "magic" for me.   I presume, from what I've
seen, it is /dev/dsp, but I no definitive way to track this down.

Thanks, and hope that helps.

Scott