dynamic IP/remote access

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 21:52:45 -0400
"Paul Baumgardner" <pbaumgardner-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the info about dyndns.  I haven't noticed yet if my IP has
> changed; it's only been a month or so.  I had Speakeasy for about 5
> years at my previous place.  I had the One-Link service (no home
> phone).  It was great.  It is pricey compared to offerings from
> Verizon or Comcast in terms of bandwidth.  I was paying $60 per month
> for a 1.5/384 line.  Downtime was practically non-exsistent.  I can't
> remember a time I was with out internet with them.  With Comcast, I
> noticed my download speed will go from over 1200KB/sec to 300KB/sec.
> Overall Speakeasy is great.  Very good technical support.  I wish I
> could use them right now.  I'm moving again in 8 months, so hopefully
> I can go back to them,

Over the years I have had Continental Cable Vision (Highway 1),
Mediaone, ATTBI and Comcast. As I mentioned, my IP address has not
changed in years, even when I changed Cable Modems to use Digital
Phone. I have not had any downtime in years and my download bandwidth
is generally always up around 5Mbps or higher. Just checked:
Communications 6.7 megabits per second

BTW: There are many reasons you cannot connect DSL. They measure line
distance from the CO. And your new place is probably further than the
minimum. I've never been able to run DSL here but I have neighbors
about 1/4 mile away that do.=20

Additionally, Comcast seems to be great in some areas and terrible in
others. I know several people in Waltham who had nothing but trouble
with Comcast and predecessors. And, I don't recall any Internet
problems with Comcast in years. I did have 3 TV boxes that went bad,
but they replaced them quickly.=20
--=20
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org PGP key id:C5061EA9