Linux and desktops on isolated LAN

John Abreau wrote:
> Remote-mounting of the home directory is fairly trivial; I think the
> real issue here is the desktop environment. Gnome and KDE have
> the unstated assumption baked in that the user just has the one
> desktop. If users login with the same home directory from
> multiple workstations, they will have multiple instances on Gnome
> or KDE stepping all over each other and probably corrupting
> a lot of their desktop settings and preference data.

A while back gnome would detect that you were simultaneously logged in
somewhere else and wouldn't let you log in.  I'm pretty sure newer versions
will recognize that another instance has the gconfd stuff locked, and it will
allow log you in, but pop up a window saying something like "You won't be able
to change your preferences from this login".  Not sure about KDE though.

The multiple versions thing might be an issue though.  Although RHEL and
CentOS (if they are the same release) will have the same versions of GNOME/KDE.

Matt

believed to be clean.