Best way to install a custom kernel on multiple nodes

On Wednesday 08 August 2007 11:25:43 pm Matthew Gillen wrote:
> Vinay Perneti wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a custom kernel (2.6.21) with some nfs stuff modified. I know how
> > to build and install the kernel on a single machine. However, I was
> > trying to find the best way to install it on multiple nodes. One of the
> > obvious ways is to make rpm packages and use them ( The nodes i'm trying
> > to install the kernel run Redhat enterprise edition 5).
> >
> > I was trying to make rpms for the kernel packages using instructions on
> > this link "http://grid-it.cnaf.infn.it/index.php?rpmbuild&type=1";.
> > However, that didn't go so well cuz it required a config_smp to be
> > present, which i did not have on the RHEL 5 i was working on.
>
> You might try these instructions instead:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel
> Given that RHEL5 is a pretty new release, the tools are likely to be
> similar enough to Fedora. The union of these two sources should help at the
> very least.

The latest Fedora specs have diverged a bit from RHEL5, but they're similar
enough those docs do still at least mostly apply, and once we've iced 5.1,
they'll get more similar again. (Many of the recent changes made to the
Fedora kernel spec have been ported for the RHEL5 spec, but won't go in until
after 5.1 development is finished).

By simply passing '--define "rhel 5" --define "dist .el5"' along with the
rpmbuild line against the latest Fedora 7 kernel spec, you should wind up
with a 2.6.22.1-based kernel with a RHEL5-ish kernel .config dropped into
place instead of the Fedora one (or just build w/the Fedora one). You'd
definitely have to edit the spec to add the modified nfs bits, and possibly
edit config-generic or config-rhel to set any new .config options.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org

believed to be clean.