Go (language)

I think things need to be placed into perspective. C was written
specifically to write operating systems with, and it did a very good
job. With C and C++ you are closer to the hardware, but you correctly
point out that things like Python and Java tend to be easier to work
with in a graphics environment.

On 11/23/2009 10:28 AM, Jared Carlson wrote:
> Isn't this what people are up against to a degree though in terms of re=
ally creating applications though?  I've been writing applications for a =
couple of years, and whether it's been a Python front end that talks to s=
ome low-level C code or, for example with the iPhone, Objective-C has a r=
untime and so you write your algorithms - the bottlenecks - in C and the =
UI functionality is in Objective-C.  More and more frequently I'm using h=
igher level scripting languages such as Python, Ruby, or Objective-C for =
the UI, but I never get away from old fashioned C code because I have tha=
t excellent combination of control and performance. =20

> I'm not trying to take sides, but I just see more and more often, espec=
ially on mobile devices, you need access to the device but you don't have=
 to be tied to C for a laborious front-end.  I actually enjoy being able =
to get control with my C code but then once I'm done with that portion of=
 the code I can reuse a framework for the interface.

> Anyway, just my thoughts...
>
> - Jared

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix