Trouble at the 9th layer.

Configuring Sudo correctly means, IMHO, unless you are on the sysadmin team,
you cannot have shell access as root.  They can still script sudo, to do
utility functions
without having full shell access, and even using editors (vi, sed, emacs,
etc) should
be viewed suspiciously to ensure they can't 'shell out' to get and
un-audited command line.
... I am draconian, but only because I have been bit so many times.