Ubuntu moving away from X

Getting back to the original topic -- that Ubuntu is planning to move to
an OpenGL-based window system and relegate X to compatibility-mode
status -- my initial reaction was dismay because that will most likely
mean that X will wither and die over the next 5-10 years. And since X is
the only window system that allows you to run applications anywhere on
the Internet and have them all show up on your display, this decision
seemed like it would mean that that capability would disappear as X
disappears.

But then I thought about how typical GUI applications are being written
today. Many (most?) are no longer native applications. They're
Javascript applications running in the browser.  And for those
applications, the functionality we once counted on the window system to
provide is now being provided by the browser.

I'm not sure what the situation is WRT native apps on mobile phones, but
web browsers provide the same network capabilities in that environment
that they do on traditional computers.

So, maybe Ubuntu's decision isn't the disaster I initially feared.

    Mark Rosenthal