Fedora moving to wayland

On Nov 16, 2010, at 6:46 AM, Jon Masters wrote:

> And yet somehow I vividly recall doing such things as running CDE over
> the network to a Linux box ;) Turns out I don't need OpenGL to use a
> Linux computer, who'd have thought it?

I note that you elided my comment about SGI.  IRIX's GUI tools don't work right, some not at all, if they are not run on the console with SGI's X server.  They depend on SGI's proprietary X server extensions.

Pick any commercial UNIX vendor.  Chances are I can recall having problems with their tools on somebody else's X server.  They've all done it in one way or another over the years.  Some worse than others, but they've all done it.  Bad enough that it was common practice through the 1980s and 1990s to compile MIT X11 from source just to have a consistent environment across multiple systems and to Hell with the vendor-supplied applications.

--Rich P.