[Discuss] Fighting UEFI

Chuck Anderson wrote:
> It is ironic that in this case, making sure the hardware you buy is
> Windows 8 certified ensures that you will be able to turn off Secure
> Boot...

We're talking x86 here, right?

Has something changed recently that I missed? When I first read about
Secure Boot it was made clear that Microsoft required support of Secure
Boot on x86, but did not require that there be a user setting to turn it
off. They only allowed for that possibility.

(Presumably you can boot Windows 8 on a system that doesn't include
Secure Boot, but the system won't pass certification. Any vendor not
aiming for certification is probably not going to bother to half
implement Secure Boot. Leaving it out entirely is the easier approach.)

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA