[Discuss] tcsh, AD, and RHEL 5.6

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 06:18:25PM -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> rare these days that Unix systems ship with /bin/sh = the original
> Bourne shell.  So, set their shell to /bin/sh, and make sure that is
> bash on your linux systems, and everything should be hunky-dory.  I
> know debian uses dash by default now, but in almost 20 years of
> managing Linux systems, I've always used bash as the system shell,
> even on production servers, and it's never caused a problem.  Though,
> if the RC scripts are specifically written with dashisms, that could
> be problematic.  This is one of the many reasons I don't like debian.
> If your system is hosed, you're probably going to boot from a rescue
> disk anyway...

Debian changed to dash in large part to make sure that there
weren't bashisms in the RC scripts. (There were. They got
fixed.) The other reasons were to reduce required dependencies
and decrease boot times.

Having bash as the system shell rarely causes problems. Having
scripts that need bash but don't declare it explicitly is the
problem.

-dsr-

--
http://randomstring.org/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.
You can't fight for freedom by taking away rights.