[Discuss] Why use Linux? (back to original question)

> markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
>> In a web environment you should be using Linux, hands down. I'll amplify
>> this assertion a little bit as well, you should make sure your web
>> service
>> environment is in a virtual machine on Linux.
>
> What's wrong with *BSD? As a matter of fact, for security I'd suggest
> using OpenBSD first and go with a Linux distribution when there is a
> specific need not addressed by the BSDs.
>
>> The shear number of tools available on Linux is just simply amazing.
>> Screen, ssh, PAM, qemu, libvirt, virt-manager, X, and yes, I said it,
>> The
>> X Window Manager.
>
> Screen: OS X ships with it.
> SSH: OS X ships with it.
> PAM: OS X ships with it.

I don't think I said Mac didn't come with these, it may have sounded
implied. That was a "why linux" not a why not mac.

> QEMU: OS X doesn't ship with it but it's installable via MacPorts.
Not really supported by the qemu guys. How's the version updates?

> libvirt: Just like QEMU.
> virt-manager: Not in MacPorts but it may be compiled separately.
ditto.

> X11: OS X used to ship with XQuartz but Apple separated it from the OS
X is important.

> distribution to ease development and updates.
> Sparse files: OS X's VFS layer supports sparse files.

This must be new because we've never see it work. Give me a link to a
howto because I don't believe it.

> Oh, and by the way? Windows can do all of these, too, courtesy of Cygwin
> and MinGW.

Yes, if MinGW is considered "supported" then I think we do not have enough
common ground to discuss.