[Discuss] Good and Bad Crypto

Mike Small wrote:
> So this is kind of what troubles me in the line this thread has taken
> re. checking that the encryption algorithms are well chosen and
> implemented correctly.

That's why the world trusts the cryptographic module in OpenSSL: it's
been examined and confirmed to be implemented correctly where
"correctly" is "what FIPS 140-2 says is correct". Microsoft's
cryptographic library has undergone the same certification so I can say
that it is implemented correctly to the same "what FIPS 140-2 says is
correct". The world (and I) don't have the same trust for the GnuTLS
cryptographic module because it doesn't have that certification.

Heartbleed is something else entirely. It's not a failure to implement
an algorithm properly. It's a stupid little hack to work around slow
malloc() calls.

--
Rich P.