NT & Linux

Robert S. Mela wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

> Lots of people are doing this, even Windows NT people (I'm on a Windows
> NT mailing list, and it's amazing how many of them talk about Linux). You
> will not get any help from Microsoft, who seem to be actively hostile to
> Unix in general and Linux in particular (gee, I can't imagine why!)

 RSM> Linux in particular?  How so?  Are there any signs that show
 RSM> they think it's a threat?  Are they even tracking it's
 RSM> development?  Thinking of ways to foil it?

I suppose that Microsoft considers Unix to be the main competitor to NT, and a
free Unix is hard to beat on price.  On the other hand, I doubt there is any
real plan or plot by Microsoft, since simple arrogance would be an adequate
explanation.  Both Windows NT and Windows 95 disable any active partition flag
for either other operating systems or multiboot loaders.  This behavior was
also present in DOS at least as early as 4.0, although no one probably noticed.

-- Mike