Anyone using Ubuntu 9.04?

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 02:28 -0400, Randy Cole wrote:

> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
>
> I can confirm that upgrading to 9.04 Jaunty-Jackalope breaks the fglrx
> driver on certain recent HP dv4 / dv5 / dv7 laptops using ATI Radeon
> 3200 graphics. Disable the proprietary driver before updating.
> > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-x/2009-March/000442.html
> >
> After following three levels of links from Mick's message, I got to some
> confusing directions, including references to packages that don't exist.
>
> I'm confused; Is fglrx deprecated? What is the replacement? I thought
> downloading drivers directly from ATI was not recommended by ubuntu.

Yup it's confusing, and I'm not sure if I've all the answers.

>From what I can gather fglrx wasn't compatible with Xorg 1.6, and ATI
are (or were) working on porting it to Xorg 1.6.

There looks like there might be an updated version of fglrx that will
work, but only with "newer" hardware, but last time I tried it, my
system locked up hard, and this is with a recent GPU.

The alternative is to use the Open Source drivers available in the
xserver-xorg-video-ati package which will auto-load the radeon or ati
driver based on what hardware you have.

If anyone has successfully used the latest fglrx driver with a ATI
Mobility Radeon HD 3400 I'd like to know.