ATI vs. nVidia graphics

On Dec 2, 2010, at 6:06 PM, Martin Owens wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 17:44 -0500, Tom Metro wrote:
>> Hasn't it been conventional wisdom to go with nVidia graphics over ATI
>> for better Linux compatibility? What has changed?
>
> Nothing changed as such, the ATI and Intel drivers got better, the
> nvidia driver refused to adopt kernel mode setting.

The *open-source* ATI and Intel drivers got better. But guess what? So
did the *open-source* nvidia driver. Its called nouveau. It does
kernel mode setting. It supports multi-head. Its even got basic 3D
support now.

Red Hat has had two guys working on nouveau pretty much full-time for
almost two years now, if I'm thinking clearly.

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

> In essence the predicted practical outcome of all proprietary drivers is
> being realized. They're starting to drag xorg development/deployment
> more and more and in a few years with Wayland you won't even be able to
> use the proprietary nvidia driver at all. It'll be worthless.

Right, because in a few years, nvidia won't updated their driver at all.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org