[Discuss] tcsh, AD, and RHEL 5.6

On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 08:11:29AM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 06:56:11AM -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> > this on my Fedora install, and it still happens, though various system
> > process limits (i.e. ulimit) prevent it from killing my system.  I ran
> > into this with Debian Sid, which originally shipped with the which
> > command being a shell script which was invoked as /bin/bash, and which
> > I use in my .profile to figure out which of certain commands are on
> > the system.  When I logged in after doing that upgrade, my machine
> > fork bombed.  Several years later, when I started working at my
> > current employer, I took down two of our production servers exactly
> > the same way: they were still using the original Debian Sid.
>
> Urp.
>
> Sid isn't a release. Sid is the perpetual name for "unstable",
> and is not guaranteed to boot much less be usable in any given
> way. Nor will it be consistently the same software day to day.

Sorry, forgot that.  I meant Debian 3.0, woody, which at the time I
first ran into this was unstable, though the problem persisted until
after it was released as stable.  The which command was eventually
replaced with a binary in an update to woody, but of course if you
were installing from CD media (or something based on that) you had to
run the updates to get the fix.

-=-=-=-=-