[Discuss] Linux Mint Cinnamon Home Permissions

Well, I tracked down the culprit in this mystery and the trail pointed
to dumb user, not bad video driver.

Prior to installing Linux Mint, I had used Clonezilla to save an image
of the home partition.  To be on the safe side, I immediately restored
the image to a spare partition to see if a restore would be successful.
I didn't realize that this gave the spare partition (with the clone) the
same UUID as the original home partition.  In fact, since I had done
this step several days earlier, the extra partition was completely out
of sight, out of mind.

Installing the nVidia driver, led me to reboot.  When I rebooted, the
cloned partition was mounted instead of the real home partition
(unbeknownst to me).  All of a sudden my home partition had the wrong
permissions (owned by a different user), which was the original problem
I blamed on the nVidia package.

I fixed the permissions, tinkered with the video drivers (trying to
track down the issue), rebooted a couple times, and at some point was
back in the real home partition.  A few changes later, another reboot, I
was back in the cloned partition.

The whole time, I didn't realize that I was mounting different home
partitions.  I just noticed really bizarre stuff with my settings and
permissions.

Oh well.  I think there's another thread where I'm advocating trust for
user intelligence ;-)

Will