BLU Officers list archive

[BLU/Officers] Installfest issues

On 07/15/2012 08:54 PM, David Kramer wrote:
> On 07/15/2012 12:04 PM, Bill Ricker wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Kurt Keville <kkeville at mit.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> FWIW, I have never had problems with unscheduled weekend usage of Room
>>> 56-114, which we have had special events in... door is always open...
>>
>> Bldg 56 is getting more practical as we see more laptops and sub-minis and
>> fewer ATX or larger "desktops", which required automotive access.
> Requiring automotive access is more a function of where you're coming
> from than how big your computer is.  If I had to drive from Waltham and
> park at Alewife then take the T into Cambridge then lug all my stuff to
> MIT, then past three or four buildings to get to the one we're in (like
> when we were at 3-133), I would surely get there MUCH later than I do
> now, and leave MUCH earlier than I do.

A couple of things. First, can we be assured that the building 66 on
Ames St will be unlocked.
Both JABR and I, as you, have a bunch of things we need to bring in as
well as signage. We also have a few people who are impaired. For
instance, John Ross who pays for our lunches can't walk very much, and
Steve Morth usually comes by subway. Normally all other people drive.
While we don't see as many desktop and towers we usually have 1 or two.
E-51 is good in that it has a parking lot and wheelchair ramp. And while
I don't see parking a big issue on Saturdays, there is considerable
distance.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix