30% Apple

On 2/23/2011 6:06 AM, Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> How would you compare price and coverage of MetroPCS to T-Mobile's
> prepaid $100 for 1000 minutes per year, whichever (minutes or money)
> is used first?

Comparing apples and oranges. The prepaid T-Mobile plan is great for
people who don't use the phone much. My T-Mobile prepaid phone is a
backup to my Sprint phone, in case I visit places with poor Sprint
service and for travel to Canada (where I can use it expensively but it
does work). The phone is also unlocked, so I can put in a different SIM
for international travel. By the way, if you don't use all the minutes
in a year they stay on your account so long as you buy another batch of
minutes before they expire.

T-Mobile also has a $50/month prepaid plan with unlimited talk and text
plus 150MB data, and a $70 plan with unlimited talk and text plus 2GB
data; those would be more directly comparable to MetroPCS. MetroPCS
service is $40/month for non-smartphone devices, $50 for smartphones,
and $60/month for BlackBerries. For 4G smartphones you can pay $50/month
for unlimited voice and text plus 1GB data, or $60/month to add
unlimited data.

MetroPCS has started to deploy LTE 4G data service in some places.
Otherwise their network is only 2G (they never deployed 3G data service
at all) so data will be VERY slow, which means that the "unlimited"
service you get with the $50 non-4G plan will be of limited use, as will
the $150 Android phone they're offering. The 4G Android phone is $400,
which is really pricey for a phone with only an HVGA (480x320) screen.

If you want a smartphone, another option to look at is Virgin Mobile.
They have plans from $25/month (300 talk minutes plus unlimited text and
data) to $60/month (unlimited everything; they recently announced they
will throttle data over 5GB/month on their USB data devices and that
might apply to smartphones as well), and the data service is reasonably
fast 3G. They have a $150 Android phone (the Optimus V), which isn't a
top of the line device but it's a reasonable deal for what you get.

I tried out MetroPCS for a month when they first came to Boston (almost
two years ago now). At the time I found their service substandard with
poor voice quality and lots of dropped calls. I believe that they have
built out a lot more infrastructure since then, so service now may be
better. The REAL dealbreaker for me was their dysfunctional voicemail
system; the command keys were dead while a message was playing so you
had to listen to the entirety of each message before you could delete it.